Tuesday 2 September 2008

RIP Honey 1996-2008

Some sad news. My eleven year old cavalier king charles spaniel bitch, Honey (that's her in the picture), took ill last week and had to be put to sleep yesterday. At nearly twelve she had a good run for her breed and never suffered one day of illness in that time. She was very peaceful at the end and resigned to leaving. In fact I think she was glad to go.
Now I'm walking around in a daze. This morning I spent five minutes sobbing my heart out in the car when sad music came on the radio. She was only a little dog and in recent years spent most of her day snoozing, but the house suddenly seems very empty without her. I keep forgetting she won't need a walk or a biscuit or a brush, but I suppose I'll get used to it in time.
She's left an ache in me. I know it shouldn't come as a surprise, but it does. It's the end of an era. She was around for a lot of my sons' childhood, and through every up and down was my constant companion.
I will miss you, dear friend, but you are forever in my heart.

No comments: