Wednesday 22 October 2008

More writing books

Remembered a few more.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. Written by two editors, this should be your first port of call when you come to edit/revise your novel. Very useful.

Is There A Book In You? by Alison Baverstock. I recently re-read the part relating to the publishing business. Contains lots of quotes from industry professionals as well as an analysis of your own commitment to being a full time author.

The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. Written by a literary agent, this makes the point that hooking the reader is the author's first priority. And it's true. What's the point in writing the next War And Peace if no one ever reads it? But his advice pertains to your whole manuscript, not just the start. Read it before you submit your manuscript to anyone.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh, I am deep into "Self-editing for fiction writers" right now. And by deep, I mean that it is on my desk and I skim through it at times. I helps me to go through my novel with a more critical eye and it helps my critique of other people's work (from the writing club). It's quite helpful. I haven't heard of the other books, but they sound good. Especially the one with the first five pages. It looks like I need to read that one before I start submitting to agents.