Wednesday 27 April 2011

Censored


Well, after five (or is it six) years on writers' boards it has finally happened. A post of mine was deleted on Absolute Write Water Cooler. Yes, I'm still reeling from the shock too. Anyone who knows me knows I don't post Without Due Care And Attention, unlike some. Usually I agonise for hours before poking a tentative toe into a discussion - even then I mince my words so finely the meaning is almost lost for fear of upsetting anyone. I'm not a troll by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course I understand the need to edit - as writers we do it every day and only a fool gets so attached to his words he can't accept the process. But obliterating someone's opinion is a very dangerous road to go down. You may not like what others think, but even if you disagree it should be an opportunity to reevaluate your own opinions. As humans we need that outlet. Without the ability to express ourselves what else do we have? Terrorists plant bombs because they have no voice. They up the stakes until someone listens.

But don't worry, I won't be planting any bombs. This has however made me reevaluate my opinion of that board. Any place that has no respect for individual writers and allows the mob to rule is probably best avoided. It's taken some years, but I am learning.

4 comments:

Sophie Playle said...

I've had that happen a few times. Twice on Nathan Bradford's blog. He asked what we considered to be the best book of all time. I said 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'. ... Comment disappeared!

Unknown said...

What did you say? Can you post it here, in the interests in freedom of speech?

Sandra Patterson said...

@Sophie LOL, maybe he hates caterpillars!

@Fiona I'd rather not regurgitate the whole thing, Fiona. One thing I hate is people trying to continue an argument on their blog, and I really don't want to do that. I wasn't rude or anything like that, but I did disagree with someone who I assume is considered untouchable there. Anyway, my point is, everyone's opinion should be respected even if you disagree. If you don't allow discussion on a discussion board you don't have a discussion board.

Carolb said...

Sometimes it doesn't matter how careful you are in what you write Sandra, someone will be offended and umbrage taken.
Everyone has different views and it's a shame yours weren't respected.
At least this was just a deletion and not a super-injunction (which really is censorship).